The Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) is to invest in a limited number of collaborative research and development (R&D) pre-production match funded projects.
Proposals should demonstrate the development of technologies based around one or more of the following technology areas:
- alternative propulsion systems
- electric machines and power electronics
- energy storage and energy management
- lightweight vehicle and powertrain structures
- thermal propulsion systems
Projects are required to:
- deliver significant reductions in vehicle CO2 emissions and improvements in air quality
- strengthen UK capability and develop the UK’s supply chain in the field of low carbon vehicle propulsion or lightweight systems technology
- accelerate the development of technology solutions supporting low emission vehicles
- show how a commercially viable path to production and volume manufacture will be achieved, and market entry at a globally competitive price
- have a clear strategy to realise economic benefits, new business activity or expansion of products and services and value for money delivered to customers
- show how the project will increase knowledge in people and grow expertise in the UK
- show how the majority of the technologies included in the application are proven or demonstrated in a vehicle representative environment
- show how you will develop and accelerate the progression of automotive technology and manufacturing readiness
- show that the project delivers additional impact beyond what would be achieved through a business as usual approach
- show what would happen to the project if funding is not successful and why the specific amount of funding is needed
demonstrate how you will handle and secure intellectual property for exploitation by, and to the overall benefit of, UK-based organisations
- your project must be collaborative and business led
- the lead participant must be a grant recipient
- your project must include a vehicle manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier and an SME partner in your consortium
Non-UK based companies are also eligible to apply for funding. For further information on this criteria, click here.
Total eligible project costs should range from £5m to £40m. The duration should be between 18 and 42 months.
Funding and project details
APC provides funding to support and stimulate innovation in the UK economy.
Provisionally, there is up to around £30m of funding to match fund a limited number of collaborative R&D pre-production projects. These projects should address the technical challenges outlined in the scope.
Total eligible project costs:
- each project will attract no more than 50% of public funding
- at least 70% must be incurred by commercial organisations
- a maximum of 30% is available to research participants and if there is more than one research participant, this amount will be shared between them
- For industrial research, you could get up to 70% of your eligible project costs if you are an SME
- For experimental development projects which are nearer to market, you could get up to 45% of your eligible project costs if you are an SME